Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Introducing Chris Sheppard's 56th Presidential Inaugural Black Leather Barrel Seats


As another school year comes to a close at Culver Academies, there are many special memories that highlight this past year. One of the most remarkable moments shared by those who experienced January's Inauguration in Washington, D.C., was the opportunity to be part of the historical presidential parade.

What better way to relish these memories for the Culver's equestrians than to curl up with a cozy blanket and stroll through photos while sitting in a one-of-a-kind set of barrel seats created by Culver Academy's Ms. Chris Sheppard. Here is Ms. Sheppard's special story on how these chairs were inspired:

"A few years ago when he departed Culver, Harvey Firari had a couple barrel chairs with a table that he wasn't able to take with him to New York. He asked if I'd be able to use them and I had just the spot. I used them in my basement, but as years have gone by we weren't using them as much. When Tri Kappa's Chairs for Charity program started to develop, I thought what a perfect use for those chairs.

"This past January, with all of the hubbub of our Black Horse Troop participating in this year's Inaugural Parade, I thought there might be a way to incorporate that with the barrel chairs. Barrel chairs, horses, rustic looking... it all fit together! With Bill Hargraves' permission to use the Culver collateral, Ed Little and Lynn Rasch helped me collect '09 Inaugural memorabilia saved from the event. When I started, I was just going to use a vinyl paint to cover the chairs. I noticed the vinyl that was on the chairs had started to crack. In order to keep the chairs as regal as the memorabilia deserved, I had to peel off that paint right away and I called my friend, Jane King to help me out. She had some beautiful black leather that she used to reupholster the seats. When she finished I took them home and decoupaged a few things onto the chairs, put horseshoes on the front. The show stopper, I believe, is the signatures of all the students that participated in the actual parade. After they signed it I put a coat of polyurethane to cover it and WWAALLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! DONE!

"This was my first experience with any kind of creative art, if that's what you want to call it. Although challenging, it was fun once I got started. It has given me the confidence to try again on other chairs. I may even try a bigger project for next year's charity event. Maybe the table that goes with the chairs! I've had several people stop me and want to talk about the chairs. They seem to be a great conversation piece! And I hope these chairs will continue to foster conversation pieces for years to come.

"When you stop to think about it, these chairs capture true history. Our students were able to ride in the parade for the first African American President of the United States. Such a momentous occasion can be a legacy to pass along to the next generations. The thought of that is humbling to me! I just want for the person who gets these chairs to get as much enjoyment out of them as I did doing them."

These chairs are available to preview by stopping in at the Edgewater Grille. You may also be able to chat with the chair artist, Ms. Sheppard as she frequently works evenings at the restaurant after working her day job at the Culver Academy Post Office. The chairs will be sold, along with 2009 limited scarves to the highest bidder during the auction on Sunday, June 28th at Culver's Cove. Tickets for this event are available to purchase by contacting a member of Culver Tri Kappa, or by stopping in the City Tavern while "seating" is available.

Due to the high demand for these chairs, absentee bids will be accepted. You may send your final bid request, along with your name, phone number by email here >>>

No comments: